We've been licensed for a month and a week now, and we're still waiting. Sometimes when the phone rings I get a little thrill of excitement that it might be DHW (Department of Health and Welfare) with a placement. But we aren't waiting very patiently either.
Keegan got online last night to adoptuskids.org and was perusing profiles. There is supposed to be an interstate compact between 4 states (ours and 3 surrounding) that makes it just as easy to adopt as if it were an in-state adoption. Yet, we inquire on kids and hear nothing back. Keegan sent an inquiry last night, and I told him not to. He said it didn't hurt to try, which is true, I guess. It's just been frustrating because, as Keegan noted, are these looking for adoptive families, or not? If they are, it shouldn't be that hard to make an inquiry about them. If you look at the statistics, there are about 100,000 kids who age out of the foster care system every year. I wonder if that's partly because there are about a zillion websites featuring them, and when people are seriously interested, the inquiry doesn't get to the right person? Regardless, we aren't being very patient. Maybe that's the lesson in this. I do believe there is a specific child or sibling pair that needs our family, and I'd rather wait for the right one(s) than not.
I will be patient. I will wait for the right child. I will continue to prepare. I know this is what we should be doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment