The mostly fun but sometimes trepid family who decided to add more children to their home.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

What are we doing?!?!

I don't consider myself a blogger.  Why am I even blogging then?  Several reasons.  First, I've been reading several other blogs about foster care/adoption, and I've found them very helpful, so maybe I'll say something that might help someone else out.  Second, I'm terrible at keeping journals.  I've never been good at it.  I'd like to remember this journey, both with foster kids, and with my biological kids.  Third, while I'm sure they are out there, I haven't found any blogs about people who have taken in foster kids while having small children in the home.  I'd really be interested in seeing that dynamic, but since I can't find it, I'll write about our experiences.  Maybe it will help others.

So who are we?  I'm Duh and my hubby is Keegan.  We have been married 8 years.  Becoming foster parents was kind of always on our radar.  I was told I was unable to have children, so about 7 years ago, we started down this road.  We went to the trainings, had background checks, home study, etc.  At the end, our licensing worker said he was worried that because we had been married such a short time, had just moved to the area, and all our family support was a thousand miles away.  He thought it would be more difficult for us than if we were surrounded by support.  He suggested we wait a year.  It was good advice.  We became pregnant.  Buzz was born and is now 5.  We also have a daughter, Ariel, who is 2.

Several months ago I saw a Wednesday's Child ad on the news.  It wasn't even the video - just the written transcript.  My hubby and I were always interested in older kids/teens.  This ad of a 17 year old hoping to be adopted touched me, and I sent it to Keegan, and said something like, "I know we're not in the market, but these still get to me."  He emailed back and said maybe it was time to start looking into foster care again.  I had just assumed that we would wait until the kids were older.

After talking a lot, we have decided to move forward with it.  We put in our applications, attended intensive training, have been fingerprinted, background checked, and home studied.  We were licensed as of July 5.  We are excited/anxious/scared.  We know we are meant to do this.  We have explained it to our kids the best we could, and they are on board.  They want to help other kids be safe.  Now we're just waiting for the call...

No comments: